The 1960s – Expanding in Our Communities
If the PUD spent the ’50s building its core business in downtown Everett, it spent the next decade expanding.
To better engage with our customers, the PUD began building offices across its service territory. It started with an office in Arlington opening in 1959, and continued into the 1960s, with offices in Stanwood (1960), Monroe (1961), Snohomish (1965) and Lynnwood (1968), over the course of the decade. Customers used these offices to pay their bills, talk to customer service representatives and have questions answered by PUD experts.
The PUD was also instrumental in helping the region grow. PUD engineers worked to ensure that significant buildings like the Boeing production plant, Weyerhaeuser Paper Mill, and Snohomish County Courthouse were built in the most energy-efficient way. The PUD also advised on reconstruction after a fire on the Everett waterfront damaged several buildings in 1961.
Early in the decade, one of the PUD’s largest undertakings ever began with initial construction on our Sultan River Project. Phase 1 involved building Culmback Dam to a height of 200 feet to form Spada Lake, which was completed in 1965. Along with creating an independent way to produce electricity, the project sought to provide an ample water supply to Snohomish County. The dam remains co-owned by the PUD and City of Everett.
This decade of expansion wasn’t without rebuilding. The Columbus Day Windstorm in October 1962 wreaked havoc in the Northwest, including the PUD’s service territory. The storm caused about $250,000 in damage to PUD facilities and equipment – roughly $2.5 million in today’s dollars.
The 1950s – Building our New Home
With the PUD established and providing affordable power to Snohomish County and Camano Island, it was quickly clear that upgrades and infrastructure improvements were needed to serve a growing customer base.
Our first service shop was completed in 1955 in downtown Everett. It featured a store room, garage and transformer repair shop, and parking for line trucks.
Speaking of line trucks, when the electric properties were purchased in 1949, there were 44 cars and trucks and nine trailers in service. By the end of the decade, those vehicles were replaced and the PUD boasted a pool of 78 cars and trucks and 13 trailers – plus five cars and trucks for the Water Department. Two hydraulic lifts were also in operation and utilized primarily for tree trimming.
But we weren’t done there! Three years later, our company headquarters was completed right alongside the service shop. The inaugural Electric Building, located where it currently sits at the corner of California Street and Virginia Avenue, opened to help us serve the public. The 35,000-square foot building cost $19 per square foot to build. It was only two stories tall at the time, but was built so that it could accommodate future expansion down the road.