Preparation is vital
We work all year to prepare for storm season
- We monitor National Weather Service briefings prior to major storms.
- PUD crews and storm staff attend fall trainings to make sure they’re prepared.
- Key warehouse supplies are stocked well ahead of winter storms.
- The PUD brings in mutual aid and contract crews for support as needed.
- PUD crews trim up to 750 line miles of vegetation annually to minimize falling trees/branches.
PUD storm prep in action
We encourage you to prepare as well! Here are ways to do that:
- Build an emergency preparedness kit
- Stay informed: Follow us on Twitter & facebook.
- We also provide updates to local news radio.
- Have a backup plan: Designate an out-of-area contact phone number and alternate meeting place for your family.
- Protect food by keeping your fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
- Never use a gas stove or charcoal grill inside. Carbon monoxide kills.
- Special medical needs? Consider a backup generator, and set up another place to stay with friends/family for support.
- Stay far away from fallen power lines
- Make sure you have fresh batteries for flashlights. Always exercise extreme caution if you use candles or oil lamps. Never leave them unattended and keep them away from furniture, drapes, and other flammable materials.
Outage preparedness frequently asked questions
Customers with a medical condition that requires uninterrupted electric service should make plans to assure their safety in the event of a power outage. They should consider acquiring a source of standby power or determine if an emergency generator is available. They may want to make arrangements with friends, relatives or a local agency to transport them to an area where electricity is available. While the PUD strives to provide continuous electric service to customers, it cannot guarantee that occasional power outages or failures occur. During winter months the likelihood of power outages increases due to seasonal storms.
Please look over our emergency preparedness kit list.