Newsroom

Visit SnoPUD for all the latest information about what's going on at the utility, and see what we've been up to.

Press Releases

(Current News)

  • PUD Offers Safety Reminders for Winter Storm
    12/18/2014

    With more stormy weather likely this winter, Snohomish County Public Utility District reminds customers to take steps to be safe when Mother Nature strikes.

    Steer Clear of Downed Power Lines

    Approaching downed power lines can be fatal! You don’t even have to touch a downed line to be electrocuted. If you get too close, electricity can find a path into one leg or foot travel up the body and down the other leg and foot and cause serious burns and injury or even death. Stay at least 20 to 30 feet away from any downed line. Call the PUD immediately to report the location of the downed line. If the downed line is life-threatening (for example, on top of an occupied car), call 911. Some people think it’s okay to drive across downed lines, believing that the rubber in the car tires will protect them. While this is true to some extent, the best rule to follow is to avoid driving over downed power lines unless it is a last-resort.

    Beware of Carbon Monoxide Emissions

    Using a gas stove or charcoal grill inside or your home for heating can have deadly results. During last year’s wind storm, hundreds of people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning when they tried to heat their homes by turning on gas stoves or dragging grills or portable generators inside their homes. Gas, oil, kerosene, charcoal, and wood all emit carbon monoxide – a colorless, odorless gas – that can kill a person in just minutes if inhaled at high levels (such as inside a house with windows shut). Because carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to those for the flu, many people don’t realize they are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning until it’s too late.

    Be Safe with Lamps and Flammables

    Always use extreme caution if you use candles or oil lamps. Never leave them unattended and keep them away from furniture, drapes, and other flammable materials. In all cases, be sure you have enough ventilation.

    Use Portable Generators Safely

    Never plug a portable generator into your household wiring unless your home is equipped with a transfer switch that was installed by a licensed electrician. Your generator could be damaged or, much worse, it could back feed electricity through the meter and out into the neighborhood, where it would cause a severe safety hazard to neighbors and line workers. If you need to power an appliance with a generator, plug it directly to the generator. Also, remember to keep enough fuel on hand to power your generator through longer outages.

  • Keep Your Winter Bills in Check with PUD EnergyAdvisor
    12/4/2014

    PUD customers can analyze their bills by visiting the utility’s EnergyAdvisor at www.snopud.com/energyadvisor. It’s a free, easy-to-use online tool that enables customers to see where they are using the most energy in their homes, and what they can do to reduce their use and save money. After answering a few quick questions about their homes, customers receive a comprehensive report with tips for no- and low-cost ways to save, as well as information about relevant PUD programs and rebates. The tool enables customers who input their account number to receive more personalized results.

    In addition to the whole-home EnergyAdvisor audit, customers can access several special purpose calculators related to thermostats, lighting, televisions, appliances and holiday lighting. Appliance cost sheets provide additional information about average monthly energy costs for operating more than 100 household items.

    Home reference tools also provide a collection of resources, such as a library of topic-specific articles, a “Kids’ Corner,” an electricity primer and a highly-visual interactive home tool.

    The PUD has helped customers identify ways to conserve energy since the early 1980s. For a range of tips and resources, call the utility’s Energy Hotline at 425-783-1700. The PUD’s website also offers a wealth of energy-related information

  • PUD Offers Energy-Smart Holiday Ideas
    11/19/2014

    Switch to LED Lights this Season

    Snohomish County PUD can help make your holiday season both bright and energy-efficient. Here are just a few ideas:

    Energy-Saving Holiday Lights

    This holiday season turn to energy-efficient LED lights. They use 1/100th of the energy of a C7 holiday bulb and 1/10th of the energy of a holiday mini-light. Plus, they last up to 20 years and are safer since they burn cooler. The bulbs’ epoxy lenses make them more durable, and their low wattage lets you connect up to 20 strings end-to-end without fear of overloading a circuit.

    LED Night Lights

    LED Night Lights have an extremely long life – up to 100,000 hours – and are inexpensive to operate. Annual operating costs are 50 cents per year or less. Many also contain a dusk to dawn photocell that automatically turns off lights during daylight hours.

    Energy-Smart Gadgets

    Programmable and smart thermostats automatically lower your heat when you’re asleep or away and/or allow you to control your home’s temperature remotely. Use smart power strips eliminate phantom power drains from electronics when they’re not in use. Or try out a variety of energy monitors, which show you which appliances are using the most energy in your home.

    PUD Gift Certificates

    If you’re looking for a unique gift, you might consider a PUD gift certificate. You can get a gift certificate at any PUD payment office. Pay one of our cashiers the amount you want to give, and we’ll credit that PUD customer’s account with your payment and provide you with a certificate you can use to tell the lucky person about your gift.

    For energy-saving ideas and other tips, at any time of the year, visit the PUD website at www.snopud.com or call the Energy Hotline at 425-783-1700.

View Archived News

Here you will find press releases, special reports, our customer newsletter ("Currently"), our customer magazine ("Current") and updates during major storms.

Media Contact:

425-783-8411
(M-F, 8am to 5pm)